District Goals - 2020-2021
FOCUS AREA: Providing for Continuity of Instruction and Safe, Healthy School Environments
As a result of the current COVID-19 pandemic the Washington Township Schools will design and implement a New Jersey State Department of Education-approved school reopening plan that promotes the health and safety of students and staff while providing instructional continuity for all learners.
- Develop a comprehensive school reopening plan that meets the standards set forth by the NJ Department of Education.
- Ensure ongoing communications and collaborations with key stakeholders relative to health, safety, and continuity of instruction.
- Emphasize Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) practices within the instructional setting.
- Monitor regularly the district-wide reopening plan and identify opportunities for refinement.
FOCUS AREA: Fostering Kind, Caring, and Inclusive Learning Communities
The Washington Township Schools will strive to ensure that every child experiences a welcoming, safe, and equitable school environment; one that reflects, respects and embraces the voices, perspectives and differences arising from the very human beings who comprise our local and broader communities.
- Design and deliver curricular lessons that promote civic-mindedness, global awareness, cultural understanding, and social responsibility as outlined in the New Jersey Student Learning Social Studies Standards.
- District-wide implementation of school-based character education programs designed to foster responsible, respectful, and caring young people.
- Ensure ongoing, equitable access to instructional programming, resources, and support services for all students.
- Continue to meet State curricular guidelines and to include instructional resources that represent the entire human experience in an age-appropriate manner.
FOCUS AREA: Student Growth and Achievement (Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment)
The Washington Township Schools will support, monitor, and refine the delivery of curriculum, instruction, and assessment to promote student growth and success toward achieving the New Jersey Student Learning Standards and District progress goals.
- Collect and examine student assessment data to inform decisions related to curriculum and instruction.
- Provide opportunities for professional collaborations focused on student performance.
- Continue implementation of the multi-tiered system of support (MTSS) to monitor and promote student growth and achievement.
- Ensure ongoing professional support to faculty.
FOCUS AREA: 21st-Century Learning ~ Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics (STEM)
The Washington Township School District believes that successful technology integration and STEM activities prepare students for life-long learning within the 21st Century. In support of this belief, the District will continue to strengthen its implementation of a personal learning device initiative and Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) activities.
- Provide varied and purposeful professional development opportunities for staff in the area of technology used for instruction.
- Maintain district-wide implementation of the New Jersey Student Learning Technology Standards.
- Utilize and monitor the newly created mathematics benchmarks in grades 3-5.
- Maintain budgetary support for the implementation of a research-based science curriculum for grades K-8 that reflects key scientific and engineering concepts.